Our Rutherford Vineyard is located across the valley along the Silverado Trail. This historic vineyard is part of what was once Caymus Rancho, the Mexican land grant of George Yount. Yount arrived in 1836 and is belived to have been the first to plant winegrapes in the valley. A portion of the ranch became a wedding present to Thomas Rutherford when he married one of Yount’s granddaughters, Elizabeth.
Eventually the property was owned by the Archdioceses of San Francisco, which sold it in the early 1900s to French immigrant George de Latour, founder of Beaulieu Vineyard. He called the Cabernet Sauvignon vineyard he planted there BV No.3. Andy Beckstoffer purchased the property in 1988 and changed its name to Vineyard Georges III and replanted it with clones and rootstock carefully matched to its growing conditions.
The Rutherford appellation soil has excellent drainage and protection from the drying wind. The vines have deep, well-established roots. "They're mature vines that produce consistently great flavors -- no awkward adolescent phases where they vary from vintage to vintage," explains our Winemaker. Napa Valley's soil and climate are the reasons for Rutherford's preeminence: the area's loamy soils were formed by alluvial fans that have spilled out from the valley's surrounding mountains. The predictable heat and generally cloudless skies during the day matched with cooling fog in the late evening and early morning create an elegant richness, depth and density in the grapes. Our Cabernet Rutherford and our Estate Cabernet are crafted from this appellation.
Click here to purchase our Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon.